About Ministry of the Environment
The Ministry of the Environment was established in 1979 by the first elected Governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, when it was carved out of the then Ministry of Works and Transport. It was later merged with Ministry of Physical Planning to become Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning.
In 2003, the administration of the immediate past Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu separated the office of the Environment from Physical Planning and upgraded the present office of the Environment to a full-fledged Ministry. The mandate of the Ministry was primarily to secure a clean, healthier and sustainable environment that will be conducive for tourism, economic growth and wellbeing of its citizenry.
In the year 2005, two offices were created under the Ministry namely: Office of Environmental Services (OES) and Office of Drainage Services (ODS). In 2015, following an Executive Order by His Excellency, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, the two offices i.e. (OES and ODS) were merged into a single Ministry of the Environment. Later in January 2018, the Office of Drainage Services was moved to Lagos State Public Works Corporation (LSPWC) under the Ministry of Works, in furtherance of the Environment Sector reform of the Akinwunmi Ambode Administration.
- Formulation of policy on environmental services matters.
- Formulation of policy on air and other forms of pollution.
- Control of outdoor advertisements and signposts.
- Conduct field laboratory and geo-physical survey in conjunction with other stakeholders.
- Collation of data on industrial hazards and setting of standards.
- Monitoring of cemeteries.
- Supervision of Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Lagos State Parks and Garden Agency (LASPARK), Lagos Water Corporation (LWC), ), Lagos State Water Regulatory Commission (LSWRC), Lagos State Signage and Advertisement Agency (LASAA), Public Utility Monitoring and Assurance Unit(PUMAU), Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps(LAGESC) and Lagos State Waste Water Management Office (LSWMO).
- Development, control and maintenance of public parks and gardens.
- Formulation of policy on ecological matters
- Evaluation of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Audit Report (EAR).
- Control, management and monitoring of public toilets.
- Supervision and management of donor agencies assisted projects.
- Formulation and evaluation of policies relating to climate change towards mitigating its negative impact.
- Liaison with all units of Federal and State Ministries on issues concerning the environment.
- Laboratory services for sewage, water and environmental pollution.
- Control of water pollution and hygiene.
- Treatment of waste water.
Management Team of the Ministry
- Mr. Babatunde Durosinmi-Etti – Honourable Commissioner for the Environment
- Mr. Babatunde Hunpe – Special Adviser to His Excellency on the Environment
- Mr. Abiodun Bamgboye – Permanent Secretary, Ministry of the Environment
Directors (Ministry of the Environment)
- Hakeem Ayodeji Bakrin – Director Planning
- Olubunmi Obadan – Director Legal Services
- Sunday Joseph Adelugba – Director, Environmental Health
- Belinda Aderonke Odeneye – Director, Sanitation Services
- Abiodun Tajudeen Afolabi – Director, Enforcement& Advocacy
- Akeem Segun Shonibare – Deputy Director Finance and Accounts
- Sheriff Olanrewaju Savage – Deputy Director, Environmental Management
- Mukaila Olabamiji Sanusi – Assistant Director, Public Affairs
- Oluwatoyin Omowunmi Bamtefa – Assistant Director, Internal Audit
- Azeez Akeem Oladele – Assistant Director Procurement
- Sewanu Alaba Okoya – Head, ICT
- Lagos State Signage And Advertisement Agency – LASAA
- Lagos Water Corporation – LWC
- Lagos Waste Management Authority – LAWMA
- Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency – LASEPA
- Lagos State Parks And Gardens Agency – LASPARK
- Lagos State Waste Water Management Office – LASWMO
- Lagos State Water Regulatory Commission – LSWRC
- Lagos State Environmetal Sanitation Corps – LAGESC
- Public Utility Monitoring and Assurance Unit – PUMAU
To foster a clean, healthy, sustainable Environment for the well being of citizenry through the application of best practices in Environmental Management.