About Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources
The Ministry of the Environment was established in 1979 by the first elected Governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, when it was carved out of the then Ministry of Works and Transport. It was later merged with Ministry of Physical Planning to become Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning.
In 2003, the administration of the immediate past Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu separated the office of the Environment from Physical Planning and upgraded the present office of the Environment to a full-fledged Ministry. The mandate of the Ministry was primarily to secure a clean, healthier and sustainable environment that will be conducive for tourism, economic growth and wellbeing of its citizenry.
In the year 2005, two offices were created under the Ministry namely: Office of Environmental Services (OES) and Office of Drainage Services (ODS). In 2015, following an Executive Order by His Excellency, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, the two offices i.e. (OES and ODS) were merged into a single Ministry of the Environment. Later in January 2018, the Office of Drainage Services was moved to Lagos State Public Works Corporation (LSPWC) under the Ministry of Works, in furtherance of the Environment Sector reform of the Akinwunmi Ambode Administration.
- Formulation of policy on environmental services matters.
- Formulation of policy on air and other forms of pollution.
- Control of outdoor advertisements and signposts.
- Conduct field laboratory and geo-physical survey in conjunction with other stakeholders.
- Collation of data on industrial hazards and setting of standards.
- Monitoring of cemeteries.
- Supervision of Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Lagos State Parks and Garden Agency (LASPARK), Lagos Water Corporation (LWC), ), Lagos State Water Regulatory Commission (LSWRC), Lagos State Signage and Advertisement Agency (LASAA), Public Utility Monitoring and Assurance Unit(PUMAU), Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Corps(LAGESC) and Lagos State Waste Water Management Office (LSWMO).
- Development, control and maintenance of public parks and gardens.
- Formulation of policy on ecological matters
- Evaluation of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Audit Report (EAR).
- Control, management and monitoring of public toilets.
- Supervision and management of donor agencies assisted projects.
- Formulation and evaluation of policies relating to climate change towards mitigating its negative impact.
- Liaison with all units of Federal and State Ministries on issues concerning the environment.
- Laboratory services for sewage, water and environmental pollution.
- Control of water pollution and hygiene.
- Treatment of waste water.
Management Team of the Ministry
- Mr. Tunji Bello – Honourable Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources.
- Engr. Joe Igbokwe – Special Adviser to His Excellency on Drainage Services and Water Resources.
- Mrs. Belinda Aderonke Odeneye – Permanent Secretary, Ministry of the Environment
- Engr. Shodeinde Olalekan Nurudeen – Permanent Secretary, Office of Drainage Services and Water Resources
DIRECTORS IN THE OFFICE OF THE ENVIROMENTAL SERVICES
- Director, Administration and Human Resource, Mr. Olanrewaju Awobajo
- Director, Environmental Health, Mr. Sunday Adelugba
- Director, Legal Services, Mrs. Olubunmi Obadan.
- Director, Enforcement and Advocacy, Mr. Abiodun Afolabi.
- Director, Environmental Management, Mr. Sheriff Savage.
- Director, Planning Unit, Mr. Akeem Bakrin.
- Director, Finance and Account, Mr. Akeem Shonibare.
- Assistant Director, Public Affairs and Research, Mr. Adekunle Adeshina.
- Assistant Director, Internal Audit, Mrs. Oluwatoyin Bamtefa.
- Assistant Director, Procurement, Azeez Oladele.
- Head ICT, Mrs. Sewanu Alaba Okoya.
DIRECTORS IN THE OFFICE OF DRAINAGE SERVICES
- Director, Administration and Human Resource, Mr. Adeyinka Benjamin.
- Director, Finance and Account, Mrs. Olufunmilola Ajamagbiso
- Director, Drainage Construction / Dredging Department, Engr. Ganiu Ajadi.
- Director, Drainage Maintenance and Operation / EFAD Department, Engr. Henry Johnson.
- Director, Drainage Enforcement and Compliance Department, Engr. Mahmood Adegbite.
- Director, Water Resources Department, Engr. Helen Taiwo.
- Director, Project and Planning Department, Engr. Michael Adekola.
- Lagos State Signage And Advertisement Agency – LASAA
- Lagos Water Corporation – LWC
- Lagos Waste Management Authority – LAWMA
- Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency – LASEPA
- Lagos State Parks And Gardens Agency – LASPARK
- Lagos State Waste Water Management Office – LASWMO
- Lagos State Water Regulatory Commission – LSWRC
- Lagos State Environmetal Sanitation Corps – LAGESC
- Public Utility Monitoring and Assurance Unit – PUMAU
[toggle title=”Vision“]A flood- free, hygienic and beautiful Lagos.[/toggle]
To foster a clean, healthy, sustainable Environment for the well being of citizenry through the application of best practices in Environmental Management.
[toggle title=”Core Values“]