The Lagos Water Corporation (LWC) has evolved through various developmental stages since its inception. Originally known as the Federal Water Supply under the Federal Government, it was established in 1910 with the construction of the Iju Waterworks. Over time, water facilities, treatment plants, and equipment were installed to meet the increasing water demand of Lagos State.

Key historical points include:

  1. 1910: Establishment of Federal Water Supply with the construction of Iju Waterworks.
  2. 1915: Commissioning of the Iju Waterworks by Governor General Mr. Lord Luggard.
  3. 1976: Construction of Ishasi Waterworks.
  4. 1991: Construction of Adiyan Waterworks.
  5. 1979: Renaming to Lagos State Water Management Board (LSWMB) by Governor Lateef Kayode Jakande.
  6. 1986: Formal launch of Lagos State Water Corporation (LSWC) by Group Captain Gbolahan Mudashiru.
  7. 2004: Renaming to Lagos Water Corporation (LWC) by Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu, following the Lagos State Water Sector Law (No. 14).

The LWC operates as a state government parastatal with the responsibility of providing potable and safe water to over 18.0 million people in Lagos State. The current total installed water production capacity is 210 million gallons per day (MGD), which is lower than the current demand. The LWC has developed a Lagos Water Supply Master plan to increase the water production capacity to 745 million gallons per day by the year 2020, addressing the challenge of water shortage and ensuring a steady supply for the growing population of Lagos.